Monday 15 December 2014

Healthy Broccoli and Leek soup.



December is a month that is doomed for our waist line. I have been trying to figure out how to eat healthy, in anticipation of the week starting 22nd to the 27th. My in-laws are visiting and I will be cooking for 12 people!!! My husband’s mom and gran are awesome cooks and am certain I will only cook for the first day. Then, they will throw down some serious delicious goodness. (I will post pictures). So, in preparation for all this, I have been making soups at least 3 times a week and I thought I would share my favourite so far.

This can also feature as a starter for your Christmas meal or as a dinner meal, after a heavy Christmas lunch or brunch.

Serves 2.

INGREDIENTS.

  • 1 Broccoli
  • 1 Leek
  • 3 Garlic cloves
  • Salt to taste
  • Half tsp Pepper
  • Paprika
  • 2 tbspVegetable oil
  • 1 Chicken cube (not needed if you have chicken stock.)

METHOD.

  • In a pot, boil water with one chicken cube inside (Royco usually has some flavoursome cubes). This will be our chicken stock.
  • In a pan, add 2 table spoons of vegetable oil, add the garlic and fry.
  • Add Chopped leeks into the pan until translucent.



  • Add the broccoli. Cover for about 5 minutes so that they steam.
  • Add salt, pepper and a ¾ table spoon of paprika. Stir.
  • Slowly, add the chicken stock a little at a time. Let it get absorbed before adding more.   

























chicken stock added.
  • Add the contents into a food processor/blender and smoothing into a soup.
  • Taste to check on seasoning and here you can add more salt if desired.
  • If you like your soup more runny, you can add some of the chicken stock and blend.
  • Serve and enjoy.
I added chicken stock after this, because i like mine smoother and viscous.




I hope that helps your waist line this festive season.
Yours,
Madame Lacour.

1 comment: